These important qualifications are for practitioners who assess knowledge and/or skills in a variety of environments in the post 16 sector. The programme is designed to assist you to understand assessment strategies, quality assurance procedures and acquire the skills and knowledge to enable you to assess using a range of methods.
Award in Assessing Competence in the Work Environment
(unit 1 & 2)
Intended for assessors who assess occupational competence in an individual’s work environment.
Award in Assessing Vocationally Related Achievement
(unit 1 & 3)
Intended for those who assess vocational skills, knowledge and understanding in environments other than the work environment (e.g. a workshop, classroom or other training environment).
Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement (unit 1-3)
Intended for those who assess in all of the above environments and aspire to become a fully qualified assessor.
These qualifications are suitable for individuals who:
- May be new to the assessor role
- Assess learners in workplaces, classrooms, workshops and virtual learning environments
- Want a short qualification to gain formal recognition of their skills
- Have the potential to study at this level, same level of demand as that of study for A-levels.
Depending on whether you choose to do an award or the certificate, there is a mandatory theory unit followed by one or two of the practical units. Doing all three would constitute a certificate.
- Unit 1 is the mandatory theory unit and looks at the principles and practices of assessment
- Unit 2 and Unit 3 are practical units that assess your performance in carrying out assessments of occupational competence in a work environment or vocational skills, knowledge and understanding in a classroom, workshop and training environments. You must be assessing a minimum of 2 learners to evidence each of these units.
There is no formal examination. You will collate a portfolio of evidence comprising of observations, oral & written questions, professional discussions & witness testimonies.
Course duration / Attendance:
TBC – dependent on the chosen qualification, your commitment, and suitability of your observations of work-based assessments.
£750 Award / £900 Certificate Costs may be negotiated for groups of 4 or more.
How to apply:
For more information and an application form please email: M.Johal@ymca.ac.uk
If you would like to discuss any of the above or have a course tailored to your needs, please contact:
Manjeet Johal M.Johal@ymca.ac.uk