Your personal data – what is it?
Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of personal data is governed by General Data Protection Regulation (the ‘GDPR’).
YMCA George Williams College is the Data Controller. This means it decides how your personal data is processed and for what purposes. YMCA George Williams College may change this policy from time to time and any such changes will be published on our website. Notwithstanding any change to this policy, we will continue to process your personal data in accordance with your rights and our obligations in law.
How do we process your personal data?
We collect data necessary for YMCA George Williams College to pursue its stated charitable objectives, and by running courses and programmes, keeping our students and supporters informed of our activities, marketing and the effective running of YMCA George Williams College through its staff, trustees and volunteers.
YMCA George Williams College complies with its obligations under the “GDPR” by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
In furtherance of this we use your personal data, which includes but is not limited to the following purposes: –
- to administer students records;
- to maintain our financial accounts and records;
- to provide news and information about events, activities and services at YMCA George Williams College;
- to promote the interests of the YMCA George Williams College;
- to manage employees and volunteers;
- Safeguarding casework and safer recruitment work;
- Fulfilling obligations under Health & Safety legislation;
- Issuing and arranging the distribution of publications, mailings and newsletters;
- Communication with existing/new/potential students of YMCA George Williams College about enquiries relating to the services provided by us;
- To respond to general
Data collected and processed may include, but not be limited to:
- name and job title;
- contact information including email address;
- demographic information such as postcode;
- Sensitive data may be collected where necessary for safeguarding purposes, or for employment purposes, or where required by law. Article 9 GDPR defines sensitive data as information about an individual’s race, ethnic origin, politics, religion, trade union membership, genetics, biometrics (where used for ID purposes), health, sex life, or sexual
What is the legal basis for processing your personal data?
Organisations are permitted to process data if they have a legal basis for doing so. YMCA George Williams College processes data on the basis that:
- YMCA George Williams College has a legitimate interest to process data;
- Express and informed consent has been given by the person whose data is being processed;
- It is necessary in relation to a contract or agreement which the person has entered into or because the person has asked for something to be done so they can enter into a contract or agreement;
- There is a legal obligation on YMCA George Williams College to process data;
- Processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of a data subject or another person (in accordance with safeguarding policy and practice).
Where we process special category sensitive data (under Article 9 of the GDPR) we process data on the basis that:
- Explicit consent has been given by the person whose data is being processed;
- It is necessary for YMCA George Williams College to carrying out its obligations under employment, social security or social protection law, or a collective agreement;
- Processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of a data subject or another individual where the data subject is physically or legally incapable of giving consent; (in accordance with safeguarding policy and practice);
- YMCA George Williams College is a student membership organisation and the processing relates only to student members or former student members or those who have regular contact with it in connection with its purposes, and no disclosure is made to a third party without consent of the person whose data is being processed;
- Processing is necessary for archiving purposes in the public interest, or scientific and historical research purposes or statistical
Sharing your personal data
Your data will not be shared outside of YMCA George Williams College, except where required to do so by law, or with trusted third parties where necessary to communicate with our student members, office holders and volunteers (such as mailing companies for postal communications or through small email newsletters), and only once satisfied that any such use of data will accord with this policy. Explicit, informed consent will be sought from individuals whenever and wherever required in accordance with data protection legislation.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the data we process. Users of our web- based applications are responsible for keeping passwords confidential. We will only ask users for passwords for IT support purposes.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We retain data in paper and/or electronic format and we regularly review the data we hold and securely delete any personal data that is no longer necessary for us to process.
Your rights and your personal data
Unless subject to an exemption under the GDPR, you have the following rights with respect to your personal data: –
- The right to request a copy of your personal data which YMCA George Williams College holds about you (a Subject Access Request or ‘SAR’);
- The right to request that YMCA George Williams College corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date;
- The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for YMCA George Williams College to retain such data. (Records will remain in skeleton, to ensure no further contact in future);
- The right to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time
- The right to request that the data controller provide the data subject with his/her personal data and where possible, to transmit that data directly to another data controller, (known as the right to data portability), (where applicable) [Only applies where the processing is based on consent or is necessary for the performance of a contract with the data subject and in either case the data controller processes the data by automated means].
- The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing;
- The right to object to the processing of personal data, (where applicable) [Only applies where processing is based on legitimate interests (or the performance of a task in the public interest/exercise of official authority); direct marketing and processing for the purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics]
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Data Protection Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.
To exercise all relevant rights, queries of complaints please in the first instance contact the Data Protection Officer at email@example.com or write to: Data Protection Officer, YMCA George Williams College, 199 Freemasons Road, London, E16 3PY
You can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office on 0303 123 1113 or via email https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email/ or at the Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire. SK9 5AF
Web browsing and cookies
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file that we send to your computer or other device that is accessing YMCA George Williams College website and that we can then access when you visit YMCA George Williams College website again in the future. By sending cookies like this we are able to offer you an improved user experience when using YMCA George Williams College website.
Does YMCA George Williams College website set cookies?
What cookies are set?
YMCA George Williams College website current sets the following cookies:
Additional cookies may sometimes be set by third-party services used through YMCA George Williams College website. These include but are not necessarily limited to Google, Twitter, YouTube and Facebook. None of the cookies above contain any personal data or information that could be used to identify you personally. Their purpose is solely to improve the functionality and quality of service of YMCA George Williams College website.
Can I disable the cookies?
Yes. Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies. This choice will, however, have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites, including this one. Most browser companies provide instructions on disabling cookies on their websites. You can learn more about cookies and how to disable them at www.cookiesandyou.com